Lahore: Polling for 42 Cantonment Board Election 2021 completed across the country.
As soon as the polling was over, the counting of votes began.
Polling began at 8 a.m. and continued uninterrupted until 5 p.m.
There are 219 wards in 42 cantonment boards. Candidates for 7 seats had already been elected unopposed.
Elections were not held in 4 out of 5 wards of Kamra due to constituency disputes.
Elections were also postponed in each ward of Rawalpindi and Pannu Aqil due to the death of candidates.
Thus, voting took place in only 206 seats.
Candidates of Political Parties:
A total of 1,559 candidates were in the fray for the cantonment board elections.
- The highest number of 180 candidates were fielded by PTI.
- The PML-N had fielded 143 candidates.
- The PPP had fielded 112 candidates.
- Jamaat-e-Islami had fielded 104 candidates.
- The banned Tehreek-e-Lubaik Pakistan had fielded 86 candidates.
- Allah-o-Akbar Tehreek had fielded 74 candidates.
- The MQM fielded 42 candidates while the PSP fielded 35 candidates.
- The PML-Q fielded 34 candidates while the JUI-F fielded 25 candidates.
Besides, 659 independent candidates were also contesting in the cantonment board elections.
Security Arrangements for Cantonment Board Election 2021:
- Police were deployed at polling stations to ensure law and order.
- Rangers and FC personnel were also present outside the polling stations.
- Officers in charge of Rangers and FC were given magisterial powers.
- CCTV cameras were also installed inside the most sensitive polling stations.
Electoral Code of Conduct:
A code of conduct was also issued by the Election Commission for cantonment board elections.
According to the code of conduct:
- Carrying mobile phones inside the polling station was prohibited.
- No voter or polling agent could carry his mobile phone inside the polling station.
- However, the Presiding Officer and Assistant Presiding Officers were exempted.
- Presiding officers were to announce the results at the polling station immediately after the counting of votes.
The Returning Officer is to announce the preliminary results immediately after the completion of the results of the wards.